Picture of Victorian Wedding Bride Cameo
 
Home
Bed & Breakfast / Accommodations
check Availability or Book Now

Gift Certificates
(B&B or Wedding Present!)

Wedding Venues & Reception Areas
Wedding / Party Packages
Events/Parties
Wedding / Thank You Cards
Christmas Cards!
All Card Types
(Custom/Handmade by Local Artist)

History
News
Contact Us
Gallery of Images

Reviews
(From Around the Web)


Weddings in Damascus!
Damascus is for Families®



Follow us on Pinterest

  Find us on Facebook



we accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Cash, Checks, and PayPal
 
History
The Millsap-Baker Estate

Dave Millsaps, a gifted wood carver and building contractor, was responsible for many of the historic, Victorian homes in the Damascus Virginia area and throughout Washington County Virginia. His carving talent was nationally recognized and published; and his clients included many famous people of his day, including Will Rogers, Randolf Scott, J.P. Morgan, and Presidents Theodore and Franklin Roosevelt.

He built his historic house in 1895 to be his personal home and woodshop, but as with the proverbial barefooted cobbler, after 50 years and the completion of countless clients' homes, he never finished his own.

When Dave's niece nearly died in childbirth during the Great Depression, her young son, James C. Baker (1928 - 2009), came to live with Dave, his wife, Molly, and their only child, Vera. Upon Vera's death in 1971, James inherited the property and personally performed a 7-year total renovation and 40% expansion of the original Manor House. In the 1990's he and his son, Dr. James Baker, added seven "out buildings" and another 40% to the living space, including a "mother-in-law's" apartment over a double garage and shop, which they attached to the Manor House by a second story bridge.

In 2009 another full restoration and renovation of the manor house was begun, this time by Dr. Baker to prepare The Millsap-Baker Estate for use as a wedding and event venue and Bed & Breakfast. These renovations were completed and the manor house opened to the public in 2013.

The house has been in our family since it was first built over 120 years ago, and is now welcoming you to become a part of its history.

 
hit counter